Border City Media Introduces BuzzAngle Music, A New Music Analytics Service; Tracks Record Store Day Sales Growth
NEW YORK, New York— April 22, 2014 —Border City Media has introduced BuzzAngle Music, a comprehensive new service that provides deep analytics of music consumption as it relates to the music industry through web and mobile access. To showcase the technology’s capabilities, BuzzAngle Music was introduced to music retail in time to track last Saturday’s Record Store Day sales.
With full support from the Independent Music Store Coalitions (CIMS, DRS, AIMS) and the Music Business Association, BuzzAngle Music’s work with Record Store Day (for which it is an official sponsor) has provided greater visibility and advanced tools for physical and digital music retail analysis for independent record stores and their unique mix of inventory and sales, giving a voice to stores and data that have never been counted.
In the first-ever release of daily data for Record Store Day, BuzzAngle Music’s data shows:
• A 646% growth in sales at independent record stores on Record Store Day (Saturday, April 19) in comparison to the previous Saturday (April 12)
• A 1,855% increase in vinyl sales for the industry as a whole (a 1,062% growth in overall sales mix for vinyl) on Record Store Day in comparison to the previous Saturday
• A 2,042% increase in vinyl sales at independent stores (a 187% growth in overall sales mix for vinyl, with over 74% of all titles sold being vinyl releases) on Record Store Day in comparison to the previous Saturday
• Tame Impala’s live album and the Nirvana single top the BuzzAngle Music Charts of Record Store Day Releases; all top 25 albums and singles listed below.
This data was gathered through the proprietary software of StreetPulse, which has been collecting daily sales information from Independent music stores for more than a decade. The program also trialed Border City Media’s use of hand-held scanners, counting sales from a dozen independent stores that had never reported before to any data pools.
“The goal of Border City Media and BuzzAngle Music is to bring complete accuracy to tracking of music sales, and Record Store Day was the perfect opportunity to show the capabilities of our analytics,” said Jim Lidestri, Founder and CEO of Border City Media. “Data that can only show week-over-week activity and use estimates and extrapolations to size sales are not acceptable in the current marketplace. It makes it particularly difficult to measure the true impact of Record Store Day, particular in a year when Easter falls in the same week. With BuzzAngle Music’s daily data, Border City Media can pinpoint exactly what happened and when it happened at the independent record stores, revealing the true impact of this U.S. music retail event on the day it occurred.”
"The resurgence of vinyl has brought along a great thing; the resurgence of the indie record shop, and along with that I believe comes the responsibility to really be a part of the music industry,” said Justin Johnson, owner of Darkside Records & Gallery, an independent record store in Poughkeepsie, N.Y. “To be taken seriously as a whole sector, there needs to be hard data to back up the good work we're doing. The new reporting system from BuzzAngle Music is by far the most indie-friendly reporting system out there. No weird complicated spreadsheets to take away from your time, no antiquated password protected file transfer systems- just a simple scan. It brings the importance to the forefront for everyone at the store, and that can only mean better things for the industry as a whole."
BuzzAngle Music – www.buzzanglemusic.com, the first of a constellation of Border City Media services that will also include BuzzAngle Movies and BuzzAngle Books, provides web and mobile access that give a comprehensive view of music consumption through a series of reports and dashboards, which include analytics on the sales, streaming and airplay activity of albums, songs and artists. This can be further stratified by a multitude of filters, including a specific day/timeframe or a specific geography. Distributor and Label Dashboards will show market share by an individual or a combination of elements (sales, streaming, airplay, etc.) further filtered by timeframe, genre and geography.
Border City Media was founded by Jim Lidestri, previously President and Chief Executive Officer of Interliant, Inc., one of the industry’s first application service providers. Interliant provided business applications on an Internet platform, with Jim leading the company from its early stages to over $100M in annual revenues, an $80 million IPO, and a $175 million convertible debt offering.
Top 25 Albums sold on Record Store Day at independent record stores tracked by BuzzAngle Music (all RSD Exclusive Vinyl Releases):
1. Live - Tame Impala
2. Live at Hampton Coliseum - The Grateful Dead
3. An Ideal For Living (1978) - Joy Division
4. 7 Skies H3 - The Flaming Lips
5. Meltdown With The Ramones - The Ramones
6. Loaded - The Velvet Underground
7. Live 2012 - Death Cab For Cutie
8. The 1969 Singles - Creedence Clearwater Revival
9. Live With Joe Strummer - The Pogues
10. Because the Internet - Childish Gambino
11. Southernplayalisticadillacmuzik The OutKast
12. The Wizard of Oz: Original Motion Picture Soundtrack - Various
13. Life After Death - The Notorious B.I.G.
14. Demolicious - Green Day
15. Live at Eddie's Attic - The Civil Wars
16. Ultimate Alternative Wavers - Built to Spill
17. Indie Cindy - Pixies
18. Recover EP - Chvrches
19. Sun Records Curated by Record Store Day (Volume 1) - The Various Artists
20. Clear Lake Forest - The Black Angels
21. Odessey and Oracle - The Zombies
22. Live At Monterey - The Jimi Hendrix Experience
23. With His Hot and Blue Guitar - Johnny Cash
24. Weird Scenes Inside The Goldmine - The Doors
25. Girls Talk - Garbage
Top 25 Singles sold on Record Store Day at independent record stores tracked by BuzzAngle Music (all RSD Exclusive Vinyl Releases):
1. Pennyroyal Tea / I Hate Myself and Want To Die - Nirvana
2. Side By Side Series: Just Like Heaven - The Cure/Dinosaur Jr.
3. Side By Side Series: Gates Of Steel Live - Devo/The Flaming Lips
4. American Beauty - Bruce Springsteen
5. 1984 Picture Disc - David Bowie
6. Side By Side Series: 7 and 7 is Mystery Artists - Rush / Love
7. Ghostbusters - Ray Parker, Jr.
8. Don't Eat The Yellow Snow / Down In De Dew - Frank Zappa
9. Learn To Obey - Off!
10. Million Dollar Bill / Easy/Lucky/Free - Conor Oberst/Dawes
11. Dragonfly / The Purple Dancer - Fleetwood Mac
12. Side By Side Series: The Badge - Poison Idea/Pantera
13. Forever - Haim
14. You've Got Time - Regina Spektor
15. I'm Less Here - Mazzy Star
16. Hundreds of Ways / Fast Friends - Conor Oberst
17. The Lake Nokomis Maxi Single - Atmosphere
18. Holding On for Life - Broken Bells
19. Take It Or Leave It b/w Jesse James - Cage The Elephant
20. Say Goodbye To Hollywood b/w Baby Please Don't Go - Ronnie Spector & The E Street Band
21. Wait for Me b/w Don't Matter (Live) - Kings Of Leon
22. Illumination Theory - Dream Theater
23. Supernova b.w. Pick Up a Gun - Ray LaMontagne
24. Run, John Barleycorn, Run / Ether Madness - Clutch & Lionize
25. Live From Criminal Records - Frightened Rabbit
About Border City Media
With BuzzAngle Music, Border City Media has developed a unique service based on exclusive consumption content combined with advanced technology features. The BuzzAngle Music system will create a synergistic dynamic that will revolutionize the way businesses analyze music consumption and related trends. Founded by Jim Lidestri, previously President and Chief Executive Officer of Interliant, Inc. one of the industry’s first application service providers, Border City Media launched BuzzAngle Music in limited beta in March 2014 and has a planned public release in late summer 2014.
Media Contacts for Border City Media:
Kyle Wall, 570-575-3405, firstname.lastname@example.org
Laurie Jakobsen, 646-484-6764, email@example.com